Mmm – if there’s one thing we love about summer, it’s the opportunity for fresh and delicious food. As you plan your good eats for the season, don’t miss these helpful nutritional recommendations and healthy meal ideas to enjoy at your Orlando, Florida, assisted living facility.
Promoting Healthy Staples for Orlando Assisted Living
A few healthy substitutions can go a long way toward enhancing your nutrition when it comes to all your favorite senior-friendly summer staples. Try a few of these options:
- In your smoothie or shake, replace ice cream with low-fat yogurt and add a few teaspoons of butter made from nuts for a protein boost.
- In your baked goods, replace refined white sugar with natural alternatives, such as honey, maple syrup, or dates.
- Replace high-fructose juices and lemonades with cool glasses of water flavored with lemon, cucumber, or lavender.
- Substitute manufactured salad dressings with simple choices like olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice.
- Herbs can replace salt to improve the flavor of your food. Having a range of spices on hand helps you try out new flavor profiles to improve the overall experience while keeping the dish healthy.
- On your toast, replace the butter with fresh avocado. (For a fantastic snack, add sliced tomato and a pinch of salt and pepper.)
And these are just the start of healthy options available to you when you enjoy the services of a facility for Orlando memory care, assisted living, and independent living!
Keep Yourself Hydrated
Seniors enjoying Orlando, Florida, assisted living should take care to avoid feeling dehydrated, especially during the warmer summer months when you’re more likely to be outside sweating away important fluids. Stay hydrated by eating vegetables and fruits filled with nutrients – they’re surprisingly high in water, too! Try options such as cantaloupe, melon, and cucumbers, in addition to sipping a lot of water throughout the day.
Enjoy Natural Foods
Summer is the perfect time to take advantage of fresh seasonal fruits and veggies. Try exploring local farmers’ markets, grocers, and roadside kiosks this summer. This is the perfect opportunity to splurge on farm-fresh produce from summer squash to strawberries.
Eating well is easy at independent living facilities in Orlando, FL – and even moreso when you make your home at Westminster Towers! Contact us to learn more about pursuing a healthy, fun, active lifestyle at our independent living facility.